Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Coding Dojo: Day 2

So apparently I saved it as a draft instead of posting it, but here is my post from yesterday.

Well, it's day two! The meeting yesterday went well. It was pretty basic orientation stuff. It seems that all the meetings are going to be via Skype with no video other than to see what's happening on out instructors screen. Not sure how I feel about that. I mean I get that it's good cause students don't have to buy webcams if their computer doesn't have it built in, but I was kind of planning on these meetings making up for my lost interactions. I don't know. Most of the time I am happy to be by myself, and I love my room. But I'm starting to feel like Rapunzel trapped in her tower. I need human interaction, and my mom isn't cutting it. Ah well, I'll figure something out. Onto my next concern...

We have group meetings twice a week, and one-on-one meetings twice a week. These one-on-one meetings only last half an hour. That means I'm only getting an hour a week working with my instructor on the things that I need to work on. Their program is well written, and I tend to be very self sufficient so I may not need more than that. Still, I am trying to use this to launch a career so I find the lack of face time with my instructor even though it's an online program to be concerning to say the least.

But like I said, their program is very well set up. I got through all of the current reading on CSS, so now I've moved onto the assignments. They involve writing out the source html and CSS code of images of websites. The html takes me 5-10 minutes. I've worked with html a long time and it's pretty straight forward so that part is easy. The CSS takes a lot longer. I have worked with CSS quite a bit in the past, but it wasn't taught well, and I would often end up with a really convoluted code to get the output I wanted. Trying to write things properly and still get them where I want them is proving to be more challenging. Anyway, I should get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment